Finding the Balance:
Struggling with keeping your lifestyle healthy is hard, our life affects our mood – We feel stressed we eat fatty carby & sugary foods to give us that hit of happiness then later regret everything that just entered our mouth.
Our eating habits are mainly affected by depression, anxiety & greed. Continuing to eat when you’re no longer hungry, isn’t good for anyone but it’s easily done. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner should be our 3 meals a day apparently – No snacks in between meals but is this where we are going wrong? Narrowing yourself to just eating at these 3 times a day, gives you more reason to binge on the chocolate and crisps in the cupboard of an evening when you’re at home watching a movie as the last time you ate was 3 hours ago.
There is a very simple way you can condition your body to burn more calories, even at rest. This is one of the most effective steps you can take in your weight loss efforts. Make it a habit and you will succeed with your weight loss.
“Frequent eating encourages the body to burn fat instead of muscle tissue.”
Do not starve yourself all day to save up calories for one big meal. By eating at the correct times you minimize the risk of triggering your body’s starvation protection mechanism, which protects fat supplies. Frequent eating encourages the body to burn fat instead of muscle tissue. Taking up to 3 hours to fully digest a meal, as it is broken down into sugar, the sugar then travels through the blood, providing energy to your entire body. This means that each time you eat, your blood sugar levels rise. In total it takes two to three hours for blood sugar levels to go up and then back down again.
If you eat a large meal, you dump large amounts of fuel into your system at one time – more fuel than your body needs. The excess fuel gets stored as fat. Where as frequent, small meals on the other hand deliver manageable amounts of energy over the course of the day, which your body can utilize immediately and therefore does not need to store it as fat for later use.
Tips, diet, healthy meals:
Here I will detail as much as I can by giving you my tips & an insight of my current lifestyle. The process & elimination on how I lost 4 Stone, gained muscle, happiness and energy:
Early stages: Small changes make all the difference at this point.
If you’re anything like how I was. Gym was especially hard at first, I felt like a whale – I was nervous to be in a Gym surrounded by people seeing me overweight & sweaty. I started off with my diet & light home half an hour a day exercises to help me loose the first stone. I have detailed the small changes I took to my diet in the early stages below as well as some images for examples of HOME WORKOUTS.
Diet: Meal prep, dinner & snack examples:
Breakfast: 1 banana with porridge – With a side of fruit (or egg with one slice of brown bread).
Midday snack: 2 hard boiled eggs and a hand full of almonds or Nuts and seeds.
Lunch: Veggie leftover stir fry with a side salad & Apple.
Midday snack: Celery sticks (or sliced bell peppers) with low fat hummus or Yogurt with seeds and berries.
Dinner: Sweet chili pan fried chicken, roasted sweet potatoes and green beans.
Desert: Protein porridge oats with 3 squares of dark chocolate and raspberries.
My easy tasty breakfast examples:
Greek yogurt, granola, Goji berries & seed mix:
- 3 Tablespoons of yogurt
- Raspberry & Honey mixed together to make a light jam.
- Sunflower seeds, Goji berries, Linseed.
Protein vanilla pancake:
- 1 scoop vegan protein – Strippd Vegan protein
- 1/2 cup egg whites (or 3 egg whites)
- 1/2 cup oatmeal (uncooked)
- 1/2 medium banana
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Place raw, uncooked oatmeal in a blender or food processor and blend until it becomes fine flour.
- Add eggs, banana, protein powder, and baking powder and pulse blend until smooth.
- Toss blueberries into the batter and mix using a spatula or spoon.
- Place a skillet on medium-high heat and measure out about 1/8 cup or 2 tbsp of batter per pancake.
- Cover the pancakes while they cook to help the inside cook faster. Cook them for about 45 seconds to 1 minute on the first side, and then about 30-45 seconds on the other side.
Lunch prep, quick bites:
Sweet potato, sweet chili chicken pieces with grainy rice, onion & spinach:
- Large sweet potato
- Microwavable : Five wholegrain rice
- 2 Chicken breasts
- Half an onion
1. Put Sweet potato in Microwave for 3 minutes if its a small potato and 5 minutes if its a large on – Finish off in oven for another 7 minutes to get it crispy – Put a little olive oil and salt and pepper on top.
2. Fry onions in pan with some coconut oil, add the chicken covered in herbs and paprika – Fry chicken each side for 5 minutes until golden and cooked throughout.
3. Put Rice in microwave for 3 minutes, and put each component on the plate – Enjoy.
Salmon & Guacamole topped sweet potato:
Above is one of my faves and most nutritious. Salmon with onions and tomatoes, garlic. Bed of spinach and sweet potato with homemade lime and chili guacamole.
- 2 pieces of Salmon.
- Onions, herbs and spice of choice – I used Turmeric.
- Avocado blended up with garlic, salt and black pepper and tomato to make Guacamole.
- Sweet potato.
Cous-cous with sweet chili salmon and steamed kale & vegetables:
- Green beans.
- Cous-cous with chickpeas and seasoning.
Sweet chili cod in a bag, with whole meal rice & greens:
- Brown rice and peas with peppers and onions.
- Cod filet with sweet chili sauce on.
- A bottle of wine is OK once and a while – This was on Valentines day for me, so i needed it. But if you want to have a bottle of wine on a Friday, you can. Keep the balance.
Mexican vegan friendly bean & grain curry:
- All in pan method, put Mexican beans and grains in pan with spinach, tomatoes, onion and garlic.
- Add some herbs and spices.
- Finish with some slice Avocado.
Herbs/Spices, vitamins & supplements – Benefits:
Omega3 – When combined with a healthy balanced diet and exercise, the effects of fish oil on weight loss is substantial. It is believed that omega 3 oil improves the flow of blood to the muscles during exercise and helps to stimulate enzymes which transports fat to where it can be used up for energy, rather than being stored as fat.
Aloe Vera – While some people are just slathering Aloe Vera on their sun-scorched skin, or cuts – sores and acne. They’re also chugging it in hopes of losing weight too. Some claims have been made that drinking aloe juice speeds up metabolism, promotes proper digestion, and helps you burn extra fat and calories.
Green Tea bags & capsules: Drink it 2 hours before or after a meal and 2 hours before bedtime. Else, its caffeine and L-theanine amino acid can keep you alert. The tea, being a diuretic, can also disturb your sleep. For weight loss, drink it before you exercise, but restrict yourself to 2–3 cups a day.
Coconut oil: Scientists have known about coconut’s ability to help blast fat for decades. Around half of the fatty acids in coconut oil are lauric-acid. Lauric-acid is particularly good at killing bacteria, it’s great in helping you stave off infections when used externally. Add 3 tablespoons of it to a muscle building shake daily to feel the full benefits of coconut oil. This helps curb appetite and build muscle mass further. You can even use it in the bedroom!
Turmeric (Curcumin) Benefits:
- Curcumin is a Natural Anti-Inflammatory Compound
- Turmeric Dramatically Increases The Antioxidant Capacity of The Body.
- Boosts Brain power, helps Improved Brain Function and a Lower Risk of Brain Diseases such as Alzheimers etc.
Develops Various Improvements That Should Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease
Turmeric Can Help Prevent (And Perhaps Even Treat) cancer
- Can ease depression and stres & also help arthritis.
Cinnamon – Benefits:
- Lowers blood pressure.
- High Source of Antioxidants.
- Contains Anti-inflammatory Properties.
- Protects Heart Health.
- Helps Fight Diabetes.
- Helps Defend Against Cognitive Decline & Protects Brain Function.
- May Help Lower Cancer Risk.
- Fights Infections & Viruses.
- Protects Dental Health & Freshens Breath Naturally.
- Makes skin glow.
- Helps fight allergies.
- Sweetener without sugar.
Honey – Benefits:
- Prevent cancer and heart disease
- Reduce ulcers and other gastrointestinal disorders
- Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-fungal
- Increase athletic performance
- Reduces a cough and throat irritation
- Balance the 5 elements
- Blood sugar regulation
- Heal wounds and burns
- Strengthen the immune system
Light, Moderate moves to burn fat & gain muscle (to be continued..)
If you follow these small changes, the difference in your mindset, energy levels and body will surprise you as you’ll feel great doing it. It’s not a cure to get active or eat well as you feel so amazing doing it.
“Dedicate your mind to it, enjoy it and excel your goals and expectations. Nothing is a quick fix, be patient and you’ll get there.”
Going from an unhealthy lifestyle to an active cleaner life, takes a lot of will power but if you manage to get it in action for just 1 week, after how you see how you feel it’ll become a lot easier. Dedicate your mind to it, enjoy it and excel your goals and expectations. Nothing is a quick fix, be patient and you’ll get there.
Do NOT weigh yourself everyday it’ll only get you fed up and deflated. Weights vary constantly depending on water, the time of the month or if you’ve been to the toilet. Once every month is enough, set a day I picked the 21st of every month. Write it down and track your progress. Also take into consideration your muscle mass, if you’re doing a lot of free weight exercises your body will change and look more trim – So don’t let the number on the scales dishearten you or make you doubt your progress.
Any questions or advice? Please comment.